serial number is on my computer

|
Latest Tips Info. NEWS, Updates

Computers 101

Q:
The other day, a technician asked me what the serial number is on my computer. I had no idea, so I told him I would have to find it and call back. What's he talking about? I really have no clue. Help!

A:
First of all, I'm just going to tell you to calm down! You're in good hands now, because I'm going to give you the precise information you need. There's no need to worry any longer. I promise, by the time you're done reading this tip, you'll be able to call that technician back and give him everything he needs. So, without further ado, let's get started, shall we?!

Have you ever been asked for your computer's serial number? How about for some of your other electronic devices? If you have, you probably already know what I'm talking about, but if you haven't, allow me to fill you in! These days, every computer, every device, etc. has its own serial number. Why? Well, keep reading and you'll find out!

The serial numbers are mainly used for inventory purposes, but they also help with identification. For example, if you're having trouble with your computer and you're talking to your manufacturer's technical support, they may ask you for that number, because it helps them to identify what type of computer you have. They can then use that information to help you in a more detailed manner, as well as, much quicker. Your manufacturer can also use that number in case you need a replacement computer or new parts for it. The same goes for any other external devices you may use along with your computer as well.

So, where can you find this number? For most pieces of hardware (including your computer, printer, etc.), the serial number can be found either on the bottom or on the back of the device. For most PCs, it's usually on the bottom of the computer tower or on the bottom of a laptop. Of course, each computer is different, but you should be able to find your number in that general area. Now, most software programs also come with serial numbers, which you are probably more familiar with. Those numbers can usually be found on the actual CD or on the CD's casing. No matter what you need that number for, you now know exactly where to find it. Yes!

~ Erin