make my shortcuts even faster

|
Latest Tips Info. NEWS, Updates

Computers 101

Q:
Is there any way I can make my shortcuts even faster? If there is, I would love to know about it!

A:
As a matter of fact, there sure is! To begin though, why would you want to? Well, if you usually work with your programs maximized (for example, you can't see your desktop), it's easier to press a shortcut key combination than to minimize the current application and then click a shortcut on the desktop.

For example, I have shortcuts on my desktop to several of my most frequently visited Web sites and I've assigned them each a shortcut key.

Now, if I'm working in MS Word and need to hop over to one of those sites, I simply press its shortcut key. A browser window will open and voila, I'm on the site! It's much easier than minimizing Word, opening up Internet Explorer, hunting through my favorites, clicking on the link and having the page load. But with shortcut keys, I'm only a keystroke (or two) away!

Okay, here's how to set up shortcut keys for yourself:

1.) Right click on the shortcut you wish to have a shortcut key for and then select Properties.

Note: This seems to work best when the icon in question lives on your desktop. I've tried it time after time for icons in the Quick Launch toolbar (next to the Start button) and it just doesn't seem to work there.

2.) You'll see a box for the shortcut key. Click it.

3.) You won't be able to delete the "None" label that's currently sitting there, so don't even try (I mean, I guess you could try if you really feel the need to, but it won't get you very far!) Instead, just press the key you would like to use for your shortcut. You can use either letters, numbers or (my favorite) function keys. Finally, click OK when you're done.

Now, if you decide to use letters or numbers, you'll have to use Ctrl + Alt + yourkey to activate the shortcut. Function keys are a single keystroke affair (just be sure to pick ones you don't use in your favorite programs or you may be launching applications when you're really trying to do a function). Other than that, this little trick can save you a lot of time!

~ Steve