When Did Screen Tips Get So Big?

|
Latest Tips Info. NEWS, Updates

Working with MS Office 2007?

Have you noticed a huge change in the way program windows containing a ribbon deliver the Screen Tips?

I mean, when I hovered over a button on a toolbar in older Office programs, I got a tip that looked something like this:

Now, I get this:

While I absolutely see the value of the Screen Tips, for someone who knows what they're looking at, the new ones are rather large and could be considered to be "in the way."

So, can you turn them off?

Of course. That is, if you know where to look!

As you might expect, the Screen Tips can be controlled through the program's Options dialogue window, so let's start there. You can find the program's Options button through the Office Button.

Once you're in the Options dialogue window, you need the Popular category, Top options for working with.

You then need the Screen Tip style drop down list.

Here you can choose to either turn them off altogether or reduce the amount of information the tips are giving you.

To shorten them, choose "Don't show feature description in Screen Tips." That will stop all the extra information, but it will still give you the feature/button's name and any key combination that applies to it. (Basically, they're back to what they were before Office 2007).

Or, you could choose "Don't show Screen Tips," which will turn them off completely.

Either way, you'll feel a bit more "at home" in your Office 2007 programs!

Oh, and one more piece of good news: I found that making the change in one of my Office 2007 programs (such as Excel) made the change for all of them, so I didn't have to repeat myself every time I worked on something new. Yes!

~ April

Did you like this tip? No? Give us your opinion by rating it here:
http://www.worldstart.com/tips/tips.php/5286